Monday, March 09, 2009

Finals! Argh

In my dream last night I was running late to get to the final exam in one of my college classes. By the time I found the right room I was already several minutes late. The class was apparently a geography class, but the final was not in the normal classroom, it was in what looked like a shop classroom. There were only a few desks and some students were using various shop machines to do their exam. I was forced to work on a lathe.

The test was an open write test with only one question:
Using what we've learned in class describe an island.

I suddenly had massive writer's block. I couldn't recall any terms from the class (which makes sense from a real life perspective since it's been ages since I took any kind of geography class) and I couldn't even get a feel for where to start.
I stared at the blank page on my paper for sometime before the instructor came over and asked what were the papers under my lined paper. I hadn't even realized they were there.

One of the papers was something that looked like a typed out version of this test. It started with someone describing the weather of the island, but had blank spots with lines under them like a fill in the blank test. The name on top of the page was something like Truong Dang (it's starting to fade now).
The instructor told me no notes and if it was anyone else he'd have failed me as I tried to explain that I hadn't seen those papers and they must have been left on the "desk" from a previous class.

I then went back to work but my paper had shrunk to only about 3 inches square and was now covered with random pen scribblings I had jotted down. I asked if anyone had some extra paper I could use. After a few minutes finally two people each handed me a sheet but I was still drawing a blank on getting any good details. I tried to recall what little I'd seen typed on the other paper and started randomly putting more ideas on the new paper.

I vaguely recall looking out and see the last rays of light in the hills through the open door. Something about a motorcycle and my pen getting jammed up on the grooves of the lathe.

Laje
43%

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home